Saturday, January 5, 2008

*GO* Green

My Mom and I watched the O show today. I think it was recorded from Friday maybe? I always think of reasons why I can't do something and the show really helped me see that there are small (inexpensive) ways that I can do my part.
Today, we signed up for the curbside recycling service offered by our city. I dropped off a pile of old magazines and some newspapers at the recycling center. When I was checking the FAQ of what you can/can't leave out for the curbside pickup I was surprised that a lot of it will be fairly easy. Like, you don't even have to sort the plastic/glass/aluminum/etc. The milk jug we normally toss in the trash will now be rinsed out and thrown into a bin in the garage. How hard is that? And it's only $2 a month for them to pick it up!!
We've already switched some of our light bulbs to the energy smart ones, but I just realized that the ones here in the office, the room that is probably used most often, are not.. so that will be put on the to-do list.
A cool thing I saw on Oprah is this site Green Dimes a website that FREES you from junkmail, unfortunately, it is not free but they do plant trees with your membership.
Stop using plastic grocery bags. This is something that I've been working on already. We bought some totes from Walmart that say, "Paper or Plastic? NEITHER." They're not organic cotton but a cheaper version than O's $10 version. And they accomplish the same thing.
And just overall being more conscience. Visiting http://www.treehugger.com/ to find out what else we can do.
Looks like '08 is bound to be full of diets. Food diets, debt diets, and now Eco-diets. It is definitely a challenge to make yourself more AWARE of what you are doing, eating, spending, etc. Let's GO!!

No comments: